Friday 8 June 2012

Trading results for this month bad? Try this

Although the financial gains can be extremely spectacular in end of day trading, so too can the drawdowns! Do you have what it takes? 

It took me a while to get my mental state attune to this reality but one thing that helped me immeasurably is not having daily, weekly or monthly targets. Instead, having a 'quarterly' bench mark, target or 'sum of all trades' served me better being more representative of whether the strategy deployed is actually profitable.

So next time someone comes up to me and says: 'I’ve made my 20 pips for the day'.... I'm simply going to turn round to them and ask them if that's what they do for 'fun', and then tell them to get a life, and to stop pestering me with such drivel, lol.

I have categorised both January and August as being historically my worst ever months in trading results so moving forwards, I shall just take the 'pink elephants' and that's it!

As for the here and now my results looks like this - big gains, sizeable drawdowns...however, higher highs and higher lows!


3 comments:

  1. Great results Rob. Thanks so much for posting these - it's really encouraging to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I believe in transparency like this - keeps everyone accountable as its all too easy to hide behind a bad set of results...and what does that do? perpetuate bad habbits! Talk about your bad trades as well as your great kahunas - it's really quite liberating. Beware the person who always harps on about their winners!!

    ReplyDelete